Monday, May 4, 2009

Attack of the plan...

A friend once told me that "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans". Today that feels so true.

3 months ago, I had a plan. And it was a good one, too. The Biologist and I had been saving all winter so we could take the summer off and cross Idaho by horseback. Not some people's idea of a great summer, but it's right up my alley. 3 months of seeing the world by horseback, camping in some of the most remote locations and getting off the grid... at least for a while. After that, we were going to settle down where he had gotten a job and start our life together.

Now, it's the beginning of May and I'm back in Oregon with no job... and no prospect of getting one any time soon. It's rough out there, as I'm sure some of you know. It struck me today that I would be a few days into my amazing trip if things had gone as "planned". Some days it just pisses me off that he screwed this up for the both of us.

Yeah, yeah... it's for the best... blah, blah, blah. And in my head, I know this is right. Still pisses me off, though. And, on days like today, makes me incredibly sad. Not for him, necessarily... but for the amazing adventure I could have had.

I still want to do that someday. I just need to figure out how to do it on my own. And I guess that's what it boils down to...

1 comment:

  1. I swear your story sometimes is eerily similar to mine. Not that I HAD planned to cross Idaho on horseback, but had I not already been jobless and broke when the ex and I broke up, that would have been exactly what I would have been saving for. A little on foot (two or four) adventure in the good ole U.S. of A.

    There is still time. Maybe you can't ask for a month off when you get a new job, but you can take those two weeks all at once. Here's hoping. Don't let go of that. That's the kind of experience you should NEVER give up hope of having. Perhaps when I get my ass in gear, we'll cross paths out there. :)

    ReplyDelete