Friday, April 16, 2010

The magic of equine...

Equine is the fancy word for horse, FYI... or maybe equine is horses and equus is horse... I forget...

Anywho...

It was another beautiful day yesterday and I'll be gone this weekend (heading up to see Wulfe), so Flash and I (and the pups, of course) went back out to the beach yesterday. But before I could saddle up and ride I had to find my horse underneath all of the mud he had so kindly deposited upon his hairy body...

The mud makes me look ruggedly handsome, mom... 
 
After what seemed like 3 hours and 2 very sore shoulders later, I had found my horse...

I suppose you're right... I am better looking without the mud...
 

So we saddled up and off we went. And what a difference a day makes.

So on Wednesday when we were strolling through the neighborhoods there really wasn't a soul in sight. Yesterday there were people out and about pretty much on every corner. And of course everyone wants to come up and pet the "horsey"... Flash is small enough that he's not intimidating. And you hear the funniest things as people stand there petting your equine (or equus... or whatever).

One gentleman told me what a beautiful Quarter Horse I had. I informed him that Flash was, in actuality, an Arabian. Of course, he said. I used to have both, he said. I thought maybe he was a mix of some sort, he said. Now Flash looks nothing like a QH. He's got the dished head, no butt and is approximately as wide as a fence rail... but I just nodded and smiled (tried not to laugh).... and continued on my journey.

As I was exiting the beach, I had a guy come up and chit-chat with me about the pros and cons of horse-ownership. I could tell the guy didn't know one thing about horses, but for some reason he seemed compelled to talk to me about it. Again, I just nodded and smiled and continued on my way.

I did have one nice gentleman, who actually did know something about horses, offer a strip of side road along his house for parking the truck and trailer if things got crowded at the main parking lot. I thought that was nice... and I'll probably take him up on it. It's way closer to the beach access and I don't have to navigate the one busy road with the horse and the dogs. So that was cool.

All in all, it was a great ride. I can't wait to do it again...

No comments:

Post a Comment