Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Stand still, dammit...

As you know, I love my job. Which is a good thing because they pay me squat. I'm pretty sure that my hourly wage barely qualifies as a "living wage". By the time they take taxes out I barely have enough left over to buy a loaf of bread.

So, I have come to the conclusion that I need to downsize my herd of equine. I've decided to keep Elmo because if I don't I'm pretty sure that his attitude (and huge scar) will land him on a slaughter-bound truck at some point.

Flash is a no-brainer... he's never for sale (even though some lady once offered me $10,000 for him and ex-hub almost had a heart attack when I told him I turned it down).

So that leaves Aspen. She is a nice mare that has a lot of years left in her. And even though I hate to see her go, I can't afford to keep her. Period. End of story.

So this weekend I made the trek down to Farmer's place to spruce her up and get some photos and video. The trek was way longer then I remember it. It just kept going and going and going... and going. Finally I arrived... Hooray!! and promptly collapsed on Farmer's couch with serious cramps. Man, I hate that time of the month. And poor Farmer had to deal with me all crazy yet again. At least it was "natural" crazy and not BC induced crazy... there is a difference. Plus he has lots of experience dealing with me in that state... so he was fine. I'm sure his twitching will settle down any day now...

So, later that weekend I eventually peeled myself off the couch and got with the program. I went out and caught Aspen and brought her in to the round pen. She's a mess, of course. Her normally beautiful mane looks like something a bird has been roosting in all winter. It's a mess. Her tail isn't bad, but needed help. And the rest of her was just really dusty, which is not what you want to see when you have a black horse. And because I haven't really handled her all winter she won't stand still. I've seen 2-year-olds with less ADD. She was all over the place. I finally threw her in the round pen and made her work some of that excess energy off. That made a huge difference.

I got her all cleaned up and then started to take pictures. Let me just say that the delay on my camera was not helping things. I would have the perfect shot all lined up and by the time my camera finally took the picture it was of the back of her head or her butt that she had turned my way.

I don't want to look at the camera....
 

452 pictures later I finally get a few that I feel I can use. Success!!

Fine... I'll pose. But hurry up please... 

So got that done and enjoyed hanging with Farmer for a few days. He now informs me that I have left some laundry behind so I'll have to make the trek there again sometime in the near future. 
I'll try to make sure it's not when I'm on the crazy train. Oh, the horror...

1 comment: