Monday, May 16, 2011

Elmo FTW...

I've been bitching a lot about the rain and mud situation where Elmo was located. Every time I went up to the pasture to retrieve him he'd be ankle-deep in mud (never wanted to stand on the high ground for some reason) and then this past month he really started losing weight like Flash did last year.

And then, the perfect solution presented itself... a partial lease.

The granddaughter of the barn manager needed a horse she could handle and Elmo's favorite gait is stop. You have to "peddle" him to get him to trot and it's a real workout to maintain any sort of canter... perfect for a girl who is looking for a horse to putter around on during walk/trot gaming and 4H. As she becomes a better rider (taking lessons once a week) she'll be able to get him to do more. What I get in return is the board paid for. Yay!!

 It's about time I got the same treatment as Flash...

Well, he is my favorite...

See? I'm her favorite...

Even though the turn-outs are a bit muddy, the pastures look great. And when the weather is nice they get to go out and graze all day long. Elmo can hardly wait...

Plus, I don't have to drive 18 miles round-trip to feed every night and twice a day on weekends. That alone (at over $4 per gallon) will save me money. And I don't have an extra horse to feed anymore. Again, more savings...

The boys now have adjoining stalls that are warm and comfy. They get fed 3 times a day and get their stalls cleaned out every day. It's so great!!

Plus, the girl who is leasing Elmo just loves him. It's a win/win...

No comments:

Post a Comment