Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I blame it on the (evil) pine cone...

However, it could be that I'm just a clutz... tough to tell.

Anywho, it was a crazy weekend.

Saturday I drove to our dressage lesson (Flash wasn't very excited) in the sun and when we were done an hour later it looked like this...

Hurry up and unsaddle me, woman. I need my blanket STAT...

Flash and I are both in pretty decent riding shape (well, trail riding shape) so I thought that a 1 hour dressage lesson wouldn't be a big deal. Wrong. We were both panting and sweating after about 15 minutes. I think we'll continue on with the lessons. It was good to add some cross-training into our little routine.

Later that day I decided it was time to take pity on my poor bug and actually clean it. It took a few hours but it looked nice after it was done...

See? Clean(er)...

Although, in the spirit of full disclosure I only cleaned the front. The back will have to wait for another day. The dog hair alone will take hours to peel away...

On Sunday my friend Shield wanted to meet up for a ride. I decided to take Storm (because the fat, hairy yak needs it) and meet at her place because she has awesome trails.

The day started out a little snowy, but by the time I got to Shield's place the sun had come out. Storm rode great for me for the first half of the ride. Then when we turned to head for home she decided that she was getting itchy and kept stopping to scratch her head on her leg. And then about a mile out from Shield's place she all of a sudden dropped to her knees and tried to roll. Needless to say, it was a rapid dismount for me. Luckily I had no problem with it and she didn't actually role and ruin my saddle. 

After that, she started getting a little ouchy on her stifle so about a 1/2 mile out I decided to dismount and walk her the rest of the way in.

Big mistake. Huge.

As I was hopping off, this malicious pine cone attacked me and made me roll my ankle. Hard. And I heard bad noises and was instantly groaning in pain. 

Ouch...

(please ignore my scaly, gross skin and just pay attention to the gross, swollen ankle instead)

Who knew that pine cones were public enemy #1? There should be a public service announcement letting people know of their vicious nature. I mean, look at my ankle!!

This also means that riding and just getting around in general have been a huge pain in the ass. On Sunday night I was forced to crawl to the bathroom because I couldn't put any weight on it at all. And the one time I tried to hop there Noelle got in the way and I ended up crashing on top of her... (side note: fuzzy, marshmallow-type dogs squeak when you land on them).

The prognosis is nothing broken, possible torn ligament and lots of ouchy going on. Yesterday I didn't quite make it to work, but I did hobble out to the porch to enjoy the sunshine. After 2 days of almost snow and cold temps it was almost 60 degrees yesterday...

Yay!! Vitamin D...

Here I was playing with Daisy's ears and trying to get a picture of them folded back onto her head.
She totally looks like an alien when I do this... 

Leave my damn ears alone...

This is so humiliating...

Today I am back at work and hope to possibly be horseback by tomorrow (with a brace on my ankle, of course). 

Can't leave Flash sitting too long. After all, we have a race coming up in a few weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment