Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I don't share well...

I was watching a 20/20 program about a polygamist family. It wasn't the Warren Jeffs version. This guy had dated the first 2 wives together and had married them both on the same day. They knew what they were getting into and signed on for it, together. They were all consenting adults and no one was being forced into what essentially amounts to child abuse.

So far, I was kinda on board...

Except when they talked about the honeymoon night. Someone had to be first and you could see the pain in the eyes of the woman (even 20-something years later) who wasn't chosen to be first. It was sad. Very. Sad.

And then, after 20-something years of marriage the identical twin of one of the wives came to visit. And hubby decided he needed to add to his harem.

OK, so now I was totally not on board...

The 2 original wives were suddenly superceded by the shiny new wife. You could see the jealousy in all 3 women. The new wife because she wasn't an original. The originals because they weren't new. It was painful to watch. They tried to laugh it off and say it didn't bother them, but anyone with eyeballs could see what a difficult situation it was.

And it made me seethe with jealousy for them. He didn't have to share. Why should they?

I just can't imagine being in that position. It's hard enough just dealing with the various ex's of the people I date... but a wife? Right there? With a say in the matter? Oh hell no!

I guess it's a good thing that monogamy is my thing. Relationships are hard enough without the added stress of an extra wife or girlfriend roaming around...

No comments:

Post a Comment