Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A laundry list...

My first endurance race is coming up in a short 6 weeks (yipe!!). As far as training goes, Flash and I have it in the bag. He's legging up nicely and other than needing to hit the hills a little harder, he's right where he should be in the fitness category.

My fitness is another story for another day. But I will say that my first ride back after a few days of snow (where we couldn't ride) and then the flu (where I couldn't stay upright) was brutal. Flash breezed through the 7 mile ride hardly breaking a sweat. I, on the other hand, was wheezing like a 10-pack-a-day smoker. It was brutal...

So, we have the riding part down. Now to get everything else rounded up for our first ride. And that is starting to become quite the list...

1. Get the camper from Farmer's. It's been in his barn since the "Great Move of '10" and hasn't moved since. I'm picking it up this weekend (much to Farmer's delight). I have 2 hopes for my camper when I am reunited with it again... a) that there will be no rodents who have made it their permanent home (with a thousand of their closest relatives) and b) that the hydraulic jacks still work. However, if the jacks don't work then Farmer will just have to McGuyver it. I'm pretty sure he's motivated to get that damn thing out of his barn already.

2. Get the camper ready. Seems simple enough, right? Ha. First of all, Ex-hub's boxes are still using the camper as their storage area. I can't quite remember how many boxes that is... but it's a few. Those will need to be dealt with (and no, I won't just be chucking them in the garbage even though that is very, very tempting). Next I will need to clean it. This alone could take weeks (depending on the unforeseen critters running around and all of the stuff that I have forgotten are in there and now need to be thrown away). The LP tank needs to get filled and the stove needs to be checked to make sure it still works. I need to fill the water tank (assuming it still actually, you know, holds water). I need to get the bed made up (after ensuring all 4 and 8-legged critters and creepy-crawlies have been evicted). And I need to get some non-perishable food in there. Did I mention this might take weeks? *sigh*

3. Get the trailer ready. I cleaned it out about a month ago, but didn't really give it a good washing. So I need to pull the mats and really scrub it out. Then I need to install water bucket hooks on each side and I also need to install the HiTie. I haven't decided if I'm buying one or if I'm building one. Either way, it needs to be on the trailer before the first ride.

HiTie System...

4. Get the horse ready. Well, the horse is pretty much good-to-go. But I do need to round up all the crap that we might need/use while at the ride. So far this list includes: hay, water buckets, hay net, halter, lead rope, saddle, saddle pad, sponge, leg boots, water bottles, grooming kit, bridle (both bitted and little-s hackamore), saddle bags, map case, gps, heart monitor, pitch fork, big buckets for poop, fleece cooler, horse blanket, grain, electrolytes... and, oh yeah, the horse.

You look like you're stressed out, Mom...

5. Get me ready. This might be the toughest part. I'm not in the best shape, but it's getting better. I've been trying to get out and walk in the mornings, which is helping. But I also need to get a few things before I'm ready to race, as well. I need some new riding boots (this is proving to be a challenge) and I also really need some new riding tights. What I have will work for the shorter distances, but I'm going to need something a little more geared to the sport once I bump up to the longer rides in June.

Basically as I'm reading back through this list all I hear is "cha-ching, cha-ching". I need to win the lottery. Is that too much to ask?

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment