Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My dogs runneth over...

There is a blog I read frequently called Wootube. The Foodlady has 6 dogs. Yes. 6. And after the past 2 days I have no idea how she manages 6.

Yes. 6...

Right now, I have 4. That is 2 too many, in my opinion. Keeping track of 2 dogs is easy. Keeping track of 4 while you're trying to feed critters? Damn near impossible. This morning I finally gave up trying to keep an eye on all of them and figured if a dog were in trouble I'd hear some howling or something. And eventually they all wandered back to the house. Eventually...

That's a lot of work, folks. At this point I think 3 would be my max. And I'm kinda thinking 1 of those 3 would have to be a cat. They are so much more self-sufficient than dogs...

In other news, I almost killed Daisy last night. Well, not really almost killed her, but definitely pushed my aging girl too hard. After all, she's 12. She doesn't act like it most of the time but I saw the effects of age for one of the first times last night.

As you know, I've been prepping Flash for our first endurance race coming up in a few weeks. Last night it was time to up the amount of trot time. DD and Noelle handled the increased distance with no problems. Daisy, on the other hand, was struggling. And when I stopped to walk Flash after about 20 minutes of a steady 7-8MPH trot she almost passed out. She was doing circles trying to stay on her feet and I had to rapidly dismount my horse and force her to lay down and rest for a few minutes. It scared the crap out of me!!

She recovered just fine, but from now on anything over a few miles of trot and she's going to have to sit the ride out. It's going to break her heart, too.

But, better her to be brokenhearted than dead...

No comments:

Post a Comment