Friday, October 16, 2009

When I grow up I want to be...

I've heard people say that the way to be happy is to find a way to get paid for doing what you love. I think in a way Farmer has managed this. I don't think it was that way to begin with, but he does love it now. And the lifestyle suits him to a "T".

So, if money were no object what would I be doing? I've been pondering this thought for a few days now and I think I have finally figured it out...

Other than graphic design, the job I loved best was being a "dude wrangler" in Sunriver. I loved that job. I loved interacting with the people and the horses. I really enjoyed being paid to ride and showing people who haven't had much exposure how much fun horses can be.

So if I could figure out a way to get it going financially I think that is what I would do. I wouldn't do it quite like Sunriver had it set up, though. First of all I would be set up outside of Yellowstone... probably to the North or Northeast entrance to do day rides into yellowstone. I love yellowstone and it has some of the most amazing scenery out there. I would also have my ranch set up kind of like a resort. Dudes would come to stay a week minimum (to get full exposure) and I would have cabins set up around a main courtyard type area with a grilling pit and fireplace. I would have my personal ranch house, corrals and covered arena in a different area so I could get away when needed. I would make sure to have lots of pasture for the horses. I would also be breeding my own stock to use for trail horses... maybe a gaited breed for comfort (possibly the Rocky Mountain or the Tennessee Walker). These horses would get lots of training before they were deemed suitable for guests. Also, some of this stock would be for sale. I would raise my own cattle for beef. I would have wranglers and cooks.

During the winter when yellowstone is closed I would be training the younger stock and getting ready for the next breeding season. I also would love to have some non-beef cattle for sorting and penning in the winter in my top notch covered arena.

Oh... it could work, all right. If I only had the money...

No comments:

Post a Comment