Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Our first 50 is in the books...

Hutch and I completed our first 50 mile endurance ride of the season on Saturday. Our official time was 9 hours and 24 minutes. We were in the back of the pack, but I was anticipating that since it was our first attempt at moving up distances. Up until now, we've only done Limited Distance rides... 30 miles or less. So this was a big jump up. And the boys did great...

Our camp all set up. Looks cozy, huh?

Proof that I do feed the dogs even though they tried to convince the whole camp otherwise...

Flash hanging out in his pen watching all the pre-race goings on...

The pups hanging out in ride camp Friday night...

Ride camp...

Flash watching Hutch's offspring intently (hoping for treats)...

Sunrise on race day looking out the camper window (should probably clean that thing)...

About 8 miles in trying to get a picture of Mt. Bachelor. Didn't work out so well...

13 miles in and looking good...

This is the "wide" trail...

This is the "trail? what trail?" trail...

At vet check #2 30 miles in and still looking good...

Quick pit stop at mile 34 to check out the great river view...
 

Flash is deciding that we are done and wants to head back to vet check #2...
(he pouted all the way from VC #2 to VC #3) 

At mile 38 looking back at the river...


Coming out of VC #3 and at about mile 44...

The views on this ride were amazing. I highly recommend it!!

At mile 45 or so. Still in the saddle and moving down the trail...

So... the first half of the race was easy-peasy. We cruised through the first vet check and into vet check #2 feeling pretty good. At this point we had done 30 miles and we had an hour hold at that check. We ate, the horses ate and Bow (who was crewing for us) answered our every beck and call (love that girl). Before we knew it, it was time to get back in the saddle and head out down the trail. This is where the trouble started. Flash growled at me and insisted we were done. In fact, he pouted from VC #2 for 11 miles until we got to VC #3. Actually, Hutch pouted too. We were a sad crew and it took us 2 1/2 hours to only go 11 miles. It was awful. Excruciating even. But eventually we made it VC #3. After some much needed encouragement, we got back on the trail and made good time back to the ride camp and the finish line!!

My first thought after crossing the finish line was "never again". But now I can't wait to try another one at Bandit Springs in 4 weeks. I totally am an addict...

The one real casualty of the race. The inside of my right knee...

Flash the morning after the race and no worse for wear...

Flash and Leo having a Bromance moment...


Bow has also written a couple of blogs about the race from the crew person perspective. You can read her blog here (lots of photos too)...

It was a fun weekend. And next time I hope to have a quicker time and more people at the finish line to root me home...

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the compliment and blog link! I already know a few things I'd do better if I was crewing again (more ice and people water, for sure!). I'll still crew for you guys, but will hopefully be busy riding my first 10-miler during the first vet check or two, but will DEFINITELY meet you at the finish line every time I possibly can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I know about the "doldrums," they suck. But once you get (yourself AND the horse) past them, it's almost like they never happened!

    See you at Renegade Rendezvous, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I was going... alas, no money in the budget for that one. I'll be at Bandit Springs though. Can't wait :)

      Delete
  3. Hurray for you both !Prides Starsky will probably be at Bandit also. I am going to try to get there with Luck of Islam,a Pride daughter.Had thought about bringing prides Independence also,but not sure if back will hold up for 2 days riding. Alyssa will be there with Prides Reaba. Good luck and hope to see you there.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATS! Sorry about the Death March to VC3 - once you start anticipating them, they're kinda funny!

    ReplyDelete