Wednesday, December 9, 2009

So much for the banana belt...

So, I've been down at the coast for a little over a month now. When I first moved here I would talk to my mom in the valley and the weather there would always be colder than here. Every one explained to me that this was the "banana belt"... however, I will be the first to tell you that I have yet to see an actual banana tree anywhere in the vicinity.

So while the rest of Oregon was preparing for the cold snap, I figured I wouldn't need to worry... after all, we are in the banana belt, right? So imagine my surprise when I woke up the other day to a balmy 9º. Perhaps they meant banana belt in the ironic sense?

But even though it was only 9º out, the dogs still needed to be walked... otherwise Noelle might actually go stark-raving mad (she's a heeler mix and just can't help herself... she's got a lot of energy). So I began to bundle up.

Long johns? Check. Wool socks? Check. Arctic insulated Carharts? Check. Puffy down jacket? Check. Gloves? Check. Hat? Check. Dogs? Check and check.

So out I go into the frigid weather looking like the Michelin Man's long lost ugly step-sister. I mean, I've got so many clothes on I am waddling. The dogs, on the other hand, are ecstatic about the cold weather... they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off but I finally manage to get the leashes on the stupid beasts... I mean dogs.

So off we go... them bouncing around... me just trying not to fall over as I waddle along (because if I do happen to hit the ground there is no way I'm getting upright again). We make it to the beach with little incident so I decide to let them off to run around on the sand. They take off like bats out of hell, racing each other down the beach... and as I'm watching them I realize that Daisy, being the extremely smart dog that she is, has positioned herself on the upside of the beach whereas Noelle is racing along the wet sand where the tide has gone out. For a while this works out great until they come upon a spot where the water has pooled somewhat... and is now ice because it's only 9º out (wait... did I mention that already?)

Noelle hits that patch at full speed... unfortunately for her. All four legs immediately go out from underneath her and as she hits her stomach she begins to spin like a top across the ice. Daisy, of course, has stopped to watch the festivities... Noelle finally hits the other side of the ice patch (still on her stomach) and comes to a screeching halt. I am laughing so hard by this time that I am in danger of falling over and possibly becoming an oceanic float when the tide comes back in.

Noelle sheepishly picks herself back up, gives her fur a good shake and proceeds to take off down the beach again at full speed. This is a dog that I can see trying to lick a metal pole just to see what will happen... more than once.

Not my brightest animal. But I love her just the same... and nothing compares to the comic relief she provides on a daily basis.

So happy to have my mutts back with me...

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! That makes me laugh. You have such a talent for writing!

    ReplyDelete