Sunday, November 21, 2010

The plot thickens...

Or is that the bullshit? Meh, I forget...

You know how when you watch those murder/mystery shows, and there is a point when someone just snaps and then it gets all crazy-weird and someone dies? Yeah, it's kinda like that but without the death... I hope.

CPSL has gone completely off the reservation. When I got home on Friday night there was a notice to evict with cause taped to my door. I opened up the paperwork and literally almost fell over backwards laughing. This guy is nuts. Completely. Batshit. Crazy.

In the paperwork he said that I owe him $878 for late payment fees and penalties and then $618 for last months rent... for a grand total of $1496.

I laughed until I cried. And then I got pissed.

First of all, when I moved in I paid first, last and a deposit. So, last month's rent is taken care of. End of story.

Now for the $878 he's claiming for late payment fees and penalties. According to our written and signed lease I owe $25 when late and $25 if I bounce a check. Period. He was trying to tell me I owed him for all the bank fees he incurred because I was late and/or bounced a check. Um, no. If you can't manage your finances better than that, that is not my problem. And, of course, I have the lease and the law to back me up.

Then I actually started reading the lease. Come to find out I had been overpaying for internet for a year. He states that he would provide Cable TV and High Speed Internet but didn't attach any additional cost in writing. I had been paying $18/mo for it.

So, I wrote him a rebuttal and remedy to his Notice to Terminate and detailed out all the accounting. In the end I have overpaid by $139 and stated that I would be looking for that to be included with my fully refundable security deposit within 31 days of moving out.

But I had to spend a fair amount of my day yesterday rounding up all the records so I could detail out exactly what I had paid and when. Not the best use of my time...

But more than that, the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that this had a practiced air to it. I'm wondering how many other tenants he's tried to bully and steal from in the past. In this case, he picked a fight with the wrong girl. I was in property management for 4 years and went to eviction court several times for the property I worked for. In other words, this is not my first time at this rodeo...

Typically he's the passive/aggressive sort, so I'm wondering how he'll handle my rebuttal. I basically stated that any other verbal or written correspondence regarding this matter would be considered harassment. I'm hoping that will keep him far away from me until I can get the hell out of here.

I'm not sure what started all of this nonsense, but I get the feeling that CPSL is a very desperate man. Word on the street is that the bank is coming after his house and this is why it's on the market. Since I see the legals every week while putting together the classifieds I guess we'll see if that is actually the case.

Either way, I'm ready to get out. I've looked at a place that I think will work out well and now I'm just waiting to hear what the deposit will be. Hopefully something I can afford...

No comments:

Post a Comment