Monday, August 22, 2011

I hate it when I'm flat...

Let me just say, it was hot this weekend. A much different experience than the coast, to be sure. And I loved every minute of it...

On Saturday, I got the whole house unpacked. Every single box got unloaded and put away. Are you impressed? Because I was. My little bunkhouse actually looks like a *gasp* home. Shocking, I know...

Also, on Saturday I discovered this...

What the...? How am I supposed to haul a horse now?

Thank goodness my landlord had a portable air compressor... I'm going to be taking the truck down to the tire place tonight to have it looked at. It is holding air, but I don't want to rely on a tire that can be that flat in just a few hours...

So, instead of being able to haul out to Mags place and ride there, she came out to my place on Sunday and we took Storm and Flash for a ride. And what a beautiful day it was for a ride, too...

Flash: She's digging a treat out for me, right?

No?

Fine, I'll just get my own treat then...

Storm did great. She was a pleasure to ride right up until the very end. As we got back onto the property she decided that she wanted to turn and go the pasture and I decided that we should go back to the trailer to unsaddle... she didn't like that and hit reverse. I countered by backing her into a tree and making her go forward. Next time she tries that little trick I will put her back end into the canal. That ought to fix that problem pretty quickly. But if that's her idea of having a hissy fit, I'll take it. Way better than what Elmo used to do, with the rearing and bucking and all. Although now he is a saint :)

So, after the ride Mags and I decided to get some lunch in town. On the way back to my place we saw a sign indicating a tent sale. Never one to pass up a good deal we decided to head down and take a look. But before we saw the tent we saw a round pen of 3 horses with a free sign. Oh crap... 

The 2 arab mares in the pen were in good shape. The Saddlebred/Arab/Thoroughbred mix looked like he hadn't seen a meal in a while. And when he turned to look at me I saw Flash's face looking back. Oh crap...

Mags and I looked at each other and made a decision. She has the room and I have the hay. I'm picking him up tomorrow night. He's an unbroke, unregistered 5 or 6 year old gelding who is apparently going to be my next project. Mags is fabulous at groundwork, so I'll let her get a good foundation on him and then I'll take him over and back him to get his basic riding skills going. With some groceries he looks like he could be a nice horse.

I know, I know. I need another horse like I need a hole in the head... but his temperament and looks just spoke to me.

(for those of you who have rescued in the past, you know of what I speak. I can't save them all, but I can save this one...)

I'm working on finding the nice arab mares a home too. Ones I know they will thrive in. I'll let you know when I have them placed as well... 

Oh, and I'll post pictures of the new equine soon. He needs a name although I'm leaning towards Winston. We'll see what you think when you see him...

No comments:

Post a Comment