Monday, August 29, 2011

Smoke, fire and no gas... oh my!!

This weekend was an interesting one. I was supposed to go to the beach to see everyone and be with RR but financially it didn't make sense, so I ended up staying in Bend.

I miss RR, but it was nice to be able to ride all weekend too.

On Saturday, Flash and I got out early for a ride. For the first hour or so, it was great. Then the wind picked up and the smoke from the Northwest rolled in. Instead of beautiful mountain views to enjoy, we saw this...

Somehow it's just not the same...

And it only got worse as the day went on. After a few hours, Flash and I headed home rather than try to breath the smoke in.

Later that day, another thunderstorm rolled in and it started to rain. 

Seems like a good time to stay inside and watch movies...

On Sunday morning, I woke up to more burning smells... only this time it wasn't coming from outside. I looked down at the floor and saw this...

Um, I'm pretty sure that's not how my laptop cord is supposed to look...

It ended up scorching the floor a little where it melted through the coating. I'm lucky it didn't burn down the house during the middle of the night. Needless to say, I was a little freaked out. Dying by fire is my worst fear.

After that, I loaded up Storm and headed over to Mags place for a ride out there. It was good ride except for two things... 1. Dusty decided to strike out at Storm while I was holding them both and hit me in the elbow instead (ouch) and 2. My horse didn't want to come home...

I have finally figured out my new mare. She wants to go... and keep on going. She was a perfect angle when we were heading away from the trailer. As soon as we made the turn for home she became a pill to ride. Away, good. Home, bad. I guess I should be grateful... maybe I've found my next endurance horse.

When we got back, it was hot so Mags and I headed down to the river to cool off. It was beautiful... until the next thunderstorm rolled in...


At that point we decided it was probably best not to be that close (or in) the water. But at least the wind and rain cleared out the smoke for a while. We could actually see the mountains again. Yay!!

Today, however, has totally been a Monday. I got up late. I made it out to the road before I remembered that my phone and breakfast weren't with me. The second time, I made it all the way into town and to the gas station before I realized that my purse wasn't with me. Oh crap, I left it in Mags car...

I quickly called her and told her to meet me at a Texaco half-way between us. With purse in hand now, I pulled up to the gas pump only to be told that their computers were down and they couldn't pump gas... and my tank was definitely on empty. I headed for the next closest station, which was 7 miles away. And made it... barely. 

So, instead of getting to work at 8am, I got here at 8:45am. Definitely not the best start to the week...

But it's bound to get better. RR gets here on Thursday and Bff (with kids in tow) will be here Saturday. It should be a fun Labor Day weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment