Thursday, July 9, 2009

There and back again...

So, last Sunday I headed home from Hermiston (as most of you know), against my heart and, perhaps, my better judgment. But, (supposedly) the family business needed me... and my parents have been very good to put me up rent-free for all of these months. So, back to Portland I went.

And then.... nothing. While I was gone, I had been replaced. Now don't get me wrong... I didn't like the job and am perfectly OK with being done with it (although, Dad, if you ever read this rest assured that I was very grateful for the money I made while doing it... and hopefully I didn't reflect too badly on your business). However, I wish I had known that I was being replaced. I wouldn't have left in the first place.

But, in retrospect, perhaps it wasn't such a bad thing. Farmer, perhaps, needed a bit of a break to let everything sink in. On Sunday he was seeming a bit overwhelmed. On Monday, he was still seeming to be mulling things over. By Tuesday I think he was completely onboard... and missing me as much as I was missing him.

And then we were talking about me moving down to Hermi permanently. Not sure who suggested it first. But all of a sudden it seemed like a good thing to do. And somehow.... right. I know, I know. Quick doesn't even cover it. And, really, I'm not sure how great of an idea it really is. I mean, if this is really going somewhere (and it seems to be) I don't want to move to fast and scare the bejesus out of him...

Oh wait... too late for that. I think if he had a high spookability factor, he'd be loooong gone by now. I tend to scare the crap out of people without even trying. It's a gift.

But, he's still here... and still thinking that this is a good idea. Score. Now if it works out for the best, it was the best idea I ever had. If things go to hell in a handbasket, then it was way too fast and I should have known better. But isn't that how all of our decisions come out in the end? Worked? I'm BRILLIANT. Didn't Work? I'm a complete DUMB-ASS.

And, by the way, this doesn't just hold true for love-lives. Think about business for a minute. You can look back at how a lot of really established businesses started out and there is some SERIOUS ass-hattery going on there. Sure, it worked... but it probably shouldn't have. And I think this is just human-nature.

So, I'm now "semi-permenently" moved in with Farmer. I have clothes here... I need to go round up most of my stuff from my house in Idaho. I think I'll give it a couple of months before I do that... just to make sure I'm not completely out of my mind.

So... Brilliant or Ass-hat? Only time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. I think Its going as planned. Good for you!! I hope we all get as lucky :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, so good. Can't say I've ever been happier :)

    ReplyDelete